Build 166 Released

62 views

(edited)

This release has added some color to the match cards in the upcoming matches list.

Mini leagues (beta)

I've also created the concept of mini leagues. This was inspired by multiple teams wanting to run one off matches (aka "friendlies") using the app's scoresheet and TV capabilities. The challenge there was to keep score but ensure the algorithms don't mix the friendly stats with the league stats.

While I was able to somewhat handle this in the past, it required me to do manual changes to the database and manually setup the matches. This method did not scale.

The concept of mini leagues arose from this. Now any member can spawn a mini league. A mini league is essentially your own league. You can import teams and players from any season (you would usually just choose the current or latest season) into your mini league. It will COPY the team. Players are not copied. Any mini league can access players from the canonical league.

At this moment, the player who created the mini league is the admin of the mini league. The mini league admin can create and update matches. All matches will show on the TV app as well for venue display.

Admins and players should also be able to use the chat assistant ("Ask anything") to help them administer the league.


Allowing ANY user to create mini leagues is rife for abuse at the moment, after I get heuristics I can see how to close some of those holes.

This is currently in BETA.

Tournamenst and cups (beta)

This was a big one to implement. I'm positive there are bugs that I missed.

Admins of the canonical league as well as admins of mini leagues can create manage tournaments.

Currently there are predefined tournament formats. I haven't figured out a way to cleanly allow arbitrary formats. If I let the community create formats then it is possible that there may be duplicates (confusing other tournament managers) as well as some formats that just won't work (possibly frustrating other tournament managers that use these formats).

I've covered the major ones, single elimination, double elimination, regional (like NCAA final four), 2 section single elimination, Cup-Plate-Spoon play, and Group->Bracket play (World cup style).

Each tournament can be played by teams or by players.

Each tournament can be any format (Race to N games, 8ball, 9ball, 10 ball, or mix).

Speaking of formats...

Custom formats


Recently, the format has just been 8 Ball (20 games per match allowing for ties - internally this is called full play) and 9 Ball (Race to 14). That was it.

Years ago the league also had matches where there were mixed game types (8 ball and 9 ball) within the same match. There was also a format where there were singles, doubles, and team frames (where the whole team participates in the frame).

When I took over the app, I was forced to rewrite the entire platform. I was only given the database, but no code to actually use the database. The formats at the time was using a form that was not compatible with modern standards so I converted a couple of the previos formats to the more modern form.

Before this build, in order for an administrator to create new formats, I had to manually create them. This doesn't scale and it is better to hand that job over to a computer.

So now we have an interface where a user can create any format they'd like, give it a name, and allow others to use it.

These were big changes that were all introduced in one shot. This is not really a good way to engineering software, but it's just me shitting out a turd so I can polish it.

0 replies

Oldest firstNewest first

Login to post a reply.